On August 29, 2023, DEP received a letter from EPA advising that EPA agrees that the annual review of emissions data and air dispersion modeling parameters for Mosaic New Wales and Mosaic Bartow verifies continued attainment of the 1-hour SO2 standard for the Hillsborough-Polk maintenance area in accordance with section 175A of the CAA.
Effective March 23, 2020, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved Florida’s redesignation request and Maintenance Plan for the Hillsborough-Polk sulfur dioxide (SO2) maintenance area. See85 FR 9666 (February 20, 2020).
On June 20, 2023, the department submitted a final annual report to EPA verifying ongoing attainment of the 2010 one-hour SO2 National Ambient Air Quality Standard (NAAQS). This report includes:
1) The status of ongoing compliance with the SO2 emission limits for the Mosaic New Wales and Mosaic Bartow facilities.
2) A review of annual emissions data for these facilities.
3) A review of the air dispersion modeling inputs and assumptions identified by EPA as a result of coordination with the department.
4) A certification that there are no changes in the air dispersion modeling inputs and assumptions that could result in a modeled violation.
5) All supporting documentation and data evaluated by the department to prepare its annual report.
The annual report addresses the items listed above to demonstrate that the Hillsborough-Polk maintenance area continues to attain the 2010 SO2 NAAQS.
The Florida Department of Environmental Protection is the state’s lead agency for environmental management and stewardship – protecting our air, water and land. The vision of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection is to create strong community partnerships, safeguard Florida’s natural resources and enhance its ecosystems.