Page Banner

Certification and Restoration Program Frequently Asked Question (FAQs)

Operator Certification FAQs | Water Supply Restoration FAQs

Operator Certification

When can I submit my application for examination?

Because there are no fixed exam dates established by the program, an examination application can be submitted at anytime.

When can I submit my application for licensure?

An application can be submitted at anytime after you have received a passing grade on your examination. But keep in mind that you must have the appropriate amount of experience prior to submitting your application for licensure.

Does my passing grade ever expire if I don’t apply for a license right away?

Yes. Your application for licensure must be completed within four years from the date you took and passed the exam. If the four years lapses and a license is not issued, you will be required to retake the exam.

How long after taking the exam does it take to get my grade?

You will receive your examination grade immediately following your examination. Your examination is graded on site.

After I submit my application, when will I be notified that I can sit for the exam?

You should be notified within 30 days after your application is received whether your application is complete or incomplete.

What are the fees to take an examination?

Applicants for the treatment plant operator class A, B or C examination are required to remit $100. Applicants for the treatment plant operator class D and distribution system operator exam are required to remit $75.

What are the fees to get my license?

Applicants for the class A, B, or C license are required to remit $100. Applicants for the class D and distribution system operator license are required to remit $50.

What are the fees to renew my license?

Renewal fee is $75. If you are renewing an inactive license, the fee is $175. Wards of the state (inmates) need to contact our office concerning fees.

Does Florida reciprocate with water and wastewater licensing in other states?

No. However, we may accept out-of-state time and training. Applicants using out-of-state training and experience must supply detailed information on courses and work experience, in accordance with the rule, but an operator must apply, be accepted and successfully pass an exam to become licensed in Florida.

Back to top

Water Supply Restoration

What are ground water contaminants?

Ground water contaminants can be a result of man-made chemicals making it unsafe for drinking purposes. Contaminants not addressed by WSRP include micro-organisms such as bacteria, viruses and other naturally occurring contaminants.

How do contaminants get into my well water?   

Some chemical contaminants found in well water can be a result of agricultural, industrial or lawn-care activities. Others are found as a result of leaking underground storage tanks or improper disposal of chemicals.

Can contaminated well water be used for other purposes?   

Depending on the type and concentration of contamination, the well water may be used for toilet and irrigation purposes. Contact your local county Department of Health office if you have received a test results report from them. 

How do I get my water tested?   

Any state-certified laboratory in drinking water analysis can test your well water. However, in order to qualify for the WSRP's assistance, the sample must be taken and analyzed by a qualified DOH or DEP laboratory.

If you think that your well water may be contaminated, you may contact your Department of Health (DOH) local public health unit and request that your well be tested. If a sample is collected, test results will be reported to the homeowner.

Can contaminants be cleaned from a well?   

If the source of the contamination is removed, levels should decrease over time. Once a well has been contaminated, the only ways to deal with drinking water contamination are treatment/filtration of the water or switching to a different water supply. If water lines are nearby, connection to a community water supply is usually the most cost-effective alternative. In very limited cases, drilling a new well may be the recommended action.

How much will repairing my contaminated well cost me?   

The Water Quality Assurance and the Inland Protection Trust Funds are used to provide safe drinking water to people with contaminated wells. When a private drinking water well is found to be contaminated, the WSRP determines the most cost-effective way to remedy the potable drinking water. If the well owner agrees with WSRP’s solution, at no cost to the homeowner, a filtration system can be installed or a connection to the community water system, for which the DEP may pay up to the ten-year-present-worth. The homeowner is responsible for the deposit and the monthly bills afterwards.

If I have a new potable water well installed in a contaminated area, is there any financial help available to off-set the cost for the additional well construction requirements as set forth by the water management district?   

Yes, if funds are available, see the "New Well Subsidy Reimbursement Request" for more details. It is available as a PDF document.

Where can I get more information about ground water contaminants?

Your local public health unit or the Water Supply Restoration Program can provide you with more information on ground water contamination in your area. For filter installations and maintenance, call WSRP at 850-245-8336, and for health-related issues, call the DOH Toxicology Section at 850-245-4299.

Back to top

Need further assistance or information regarding the program?

OCP Questions 850-245-7500, WSRP Questions 850-245-8369, Fax 850-245-8410, or Write to:

Division of Water Resource Management
Operator Certification Program, MS 3506
Water Supply Restoration Program, MS 3515
2600 Blair Stone Road
Tallahassee, FL 32399-2400
Last Modified:
October 29, 2018 - 11:21am

Some content on this site is saved in an alternative format. The following icons link to free Reader/Viewer software:
PDF: | Word: | Excel: