Page Banner

General Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

General FAQ

Construction Activity (CGP) FAQ
Construction with Dewatering FAQ
Industrial Activity (MSGP) FAQ
Phase I MS4s FAQ
Phase II MS4 Generic Permit FAQ
Business Portal (ESSA) FAQ

Can I file my notice electronically?

Yes, the DEP Business Portal is a web-based application in that allows you to complete, edit and submit Notice of Intent (NOI) and Notice of Termination (NOT), for CGP, MSGP and NEX coverage online. Guidance for submitting online:

If I choose to file using paper, where do I send my NOI or NOT?

Florida Department of Environmental Protection
NPDES Stormwater Notice Center, Mail Station 3585
2600 Blair Stone Road
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-2400

What is the fee for coverage under generic permits?

Fees are set forth in Rule 62-4, F.A.C.:

  • MSGP = $500
  • CGP Large Construction = $400
  • CGP Small Construction = $250
  • No Exposure Certification = $200
  • NOT = $0
  • Phase II MS4 GP =  Population 50,000 or greater = $11,700
  • Phase II MS4 GP =  Population 10,000 to <50,000 = $7,988                   
  • Phase II MS4 GP =  Population less than 10,000;  and Florida Department of Transportation facilities = $5,625

How can I pay the fee? Do you accept credit cards?

If you are submitting a paper NOI,  a check or money order should be made payable to the Florida Department of Environmental Protection. You may also submit a paper NOI and pay online through the DEP Business Portal once application has been processed and you receive a facility ID number. Visa or MasterCard are accepted.

** Note: Special provisions are made for other state of Florida agencies for funds transfers. **

Who is responsible for submitting the NOI?

The responsibility for submitting an NOI ultimately falls on the operator of the regulated activity. A site owner can choose to hold the permit should the owner decide to assume responsibility for ensuring that the operator is adhering conditions of the permit and the Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) on site. If you require further clarification, please call the NPDES Stormwater Notice Center at 866-336-6312 (toll free).

I sent my NOI/NOT several weeks ago, but have not heard anything back from DEP. Will I receive a reply?

Yes, if we received your NOI/NOT our goal is to process it within two weeks and send you a confirmation letter or request additional information if necessary. 

For the status of your NOI/NOT, please call the NPDES Stormwater Notice Center at 866-336-6312 (toll free).

How can I update my permit information?

Please submit an updated NOI to the Notices Center by fax at 850-245-7524 or by mail to:

Florida Department of Environmental Protection
NPDES Stormwater Notice Center, Mail Station 3585
2600 Blair Stone Road
Tallahassee, Florida 32399-2400

Ensure that your updated NOI clearly indicates your Facility ID (FLR) and says UPDATE so that it is not processed as an early renewal.

How do I determine the “receiving waters” for my facility/site?

Obtain a map with nearby water bodies identified.

What is a Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System?

A Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System or MS4 is defined in subsection 62-624.200(8), F.A.C., as a conveyance or system of conveyances like roads with stormwater systems, municipal streets, catch basins, curbs, gutters, ditches, constructed channels, or storm drains that are:

  1. Owned or operated by a state, city, town, county, special district, association or other public body (created by or pursuant to state law) having jurisdiction over management and discharge of stormwater, or an Indian tribe or an authorized Indian tribal organization, that discharges to waters of the state;
  2. Designed or used for collecting or conveying stormwater;
  3. Not a combined sewer; and
  4. Not part of a Publicly Owned Treatment Works (POTW). POTW means any device or system used in the treatment of municipal sewage or industrial wastes of a liquid nature which is owned by a “state” or “municipality.” This definition includes sewers, pipes or other conveyances only if they convey wastewater to a POTW providing treatment.

Under the discharge information section of the NOI for the CGP and MSGP, what do I enter for “MS4 Operator Name” and “Receiving Water Name”?

If stormwater discharges to an MS4, indicate the name of the municipality, county or other public body (e.g., Department of Transportation, etc.) that operates the MS4. For instance, Orange County MS4, Tampa MS4, FDOT District 4 MS4, etc.

If stormwater does not discharge to an MS4, but rather discharges to surface waters of the state, indicate the route and name of the first named waterbody that receives the discharge. For instance, unnamed ditch to Catfish Creek, Redfish Bay, Gar Slough, unnamed canal to Sunfish Pond, etc. 

How long is my permit coverage valid?

Permit coverage for generic permits is valid for five years from the effective date of coverage or until you submit a Notice of Termination, not to exceed five years.

How do I obtain a list of all active permits in my county?

NPDES Stormwater Program
Florida Department of Environmental Protection

2600 Blair Stone Road, MS 3585
Tallahassee, FL 32399-2400
866-336-6312 (toll-free)

Florida Department of Environmental Protection Logo – Small Version

Last Modified:
August 14, 2023 - 3:11pm

Some content on this site is saved in an alternative format. The following icons link to free Reader/Viewer software:
PDF: | Word: | Excel: