ENTRIES ARE DUE By 11:59 PM EST ON FRIDAY MAY 22, 2020. The winning drawings will be printed as promotional postcards for Florida’s Coral Reef.
Kids - Artists who are 12 and younger at the time of submission will be judged in the “Kids” category.
General - Artists who are 13 and older at the time of submission will be judged in the “General” category.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: 1. Contest entrants (“Artists”) shall submit an entry via email to Coral@FloridaDEP.gov.
2. Emails must include an attached digital image(s) of their art (“Drawing”) as well as with all the information described below typed in the body of the email (“Information”).
3. The Drawing must take up the majority of an 8 ½ x 11” page. Drawings may either be drawn by hand and scanned or created digitally. The submission must be either a .jpg, .png, or PDF file.
4. The submission Information, typed in the body of the email, must include: name, mailing address, email address, phone number, names of species (either common names or scientific names are acceptable), and category entered.
5. The Drawing .jpg must use the following naming convention:
Last name_category name.jpg (Example: smith_kids.jpg)
If submitting more than one entry per category, include the number after the category. (Example: smith_general2.jpg)
RULES: 1. All drawings must feature either creatures or reefscapes that are native to Florida’s Coral Reef.
2. This Contest is void where prohibited by law.
3. All entries must be received by 11:59pm on May 22, 2020 to be eligible.
4. The Florida’s Coral Reef Draw Your Own Postcard Contest is open to all Artists, unless excluded. Excluded persons are: State of Florida elected officials, Florida Department of Environmental Protection employees and members of their immediate families.
5. Artists may not enter more than two submissions per Artist.
6. Drawings will be anonymously judged by staff of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection Coral Reef Conservation Program. All decisions will be final. Drawings will be judged on composition.
7. All entries must be original works by the Artist. Inclusion or the use of third-party work without written permission by such party, will result in disqualification. Artist warrants that all submittals will be the original product of the Artist and do not knowingly infringe upon or violate any copyright or other property right of any third party, and the Artist.
8. One winner will be selected from each category.
9. Winning drawings will be printed as promotional postcards for Florida’s Coral Reef, and each winning Artist will receive prizes. An Artist cannot win more than one prize.
10. Ownership and copyright of all entries remain with the Artist. In the event that ownership of any drawing submitted to the Florida Department of Environmental Protection is contested in any manner, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection shall discontinue use of said drawing and disqualify the drawing from the contest. Entries that fail to comply with the contest rules will be disqualified.
By submitting an entry, the Artist agrees to the Department collecting, retaining, processing, or otherwise using the Artist’s personal information for the purposes of processing the Artist’s entry to the competition, the promotion and administration of the competition. The Artist’s personal information will be and become a public record, subject to disclosure by law
11. Artist hereby agrees to grant all necessary rights licenses, approvals and authorizations to the Department to use such images for the promotion of the competition and/or public awareness of Florida’s reefs, exhibiting the work publicly, printing and distributing copies of the work, referring to the work on digital platforms in the control of the Department, and other publications of the Department, and for the avoidance of doubt, the Artist hereby grants the Department a non-exclusive, worldwide, royalty free license to use and publish such materials obtained or others materials in electronic format for purposes connected solely with the competition and/or public awareness of Florida’s reefs. Where further consent is necessary from the Artist, it shall not be unreasonably withheld. Proper credit will be given to all winners.
12. Winners will be notified via email and announced in the next Southeast Florida Reef Review.
PRIZES: 1st prize in each category will receive 10 copies of their postcard and 1 copy of Paul Humann and Ned DeLoach’s Reef Coral Identification book.
The Florida Department of Environmental Protection is the state’s lead agency for environmental management and stewardship – protecting our air, water and land. The vision of the Florida Department of Environmental Protection is to create strong community partnerships, safeguard Florida’s natural resources and enhance its ecosystems.