Page Banner

Domestic Wastewater Collection/Transmission System Permitting

New Announcement! 

Rules 62-600.405, .705, and .720, F.A.C., were ratified by the legislature and became effective on June 28, 2023 (see House Bill 7027). Rule 62-600.705, F.A.C., contains requirements for a domestic wastewater facility permittee to develop two new, important plans - a power outage contingency plan for the facility's collection system and a collection system pipe assessment, repair, and replacement action plan (i.e., collection system action plan). To learn more about these plans, please visit the Collection/Transmission System Power Outage Contingency Plans webpage and the Collection System Action Plans webpage.

For information on the current rulemaking for Chapter 62-604, F.A.C., please visit the Water Resource Management Rules in Development webpage.

Collection/transmission systems are the sewers, pipelines, conduits, manholes, pumping stations, force mains and all other facilities used for collection and transmission of wastewater from individual service connection laterals to facilities intended for the purpose of providing treatment prior to release to the environment.

Specific department requirements, including permitting requirements, for domestic wastewater collection systems and transmission facilities are contained in Chapter 62-604, Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.).

When is a construction permit required?

Either a general or individual construction permit is required prior to construction or modification of a collection/transmission system. The following activities do not require a permit:

  • Construction of an individual service connection from a single-family residence;
  • Replacement of any facilities with new facilities of the same capacity at the same location as the facilities being replaced, except for the replacement of pump stations that do not meet current rule requirements for emergency pumping capability;
  • Construction of any single gravity or non-gravity individual service connection from a single building to a gravity collection system; however, construction of a non-gravity connection from other than a single-family residence to an existing force main system requires a permit;
  • Construction of a low pressure (grinder pump or septic tank effluent pump (STEP)) or vacuum sewer individual service connection where the system serving the area has been previously permitted by the department;
  • Installation of odor control facilities;
  • Modifications associated with routine maintenance; and
  • Modifications associated with ancillary and electrical equipment and structures.

How does one apply for a collection/transmission permit?

Permits for construction or modification of a collection/transmission system are issued by each of the department’s six district offices or by local pollution control organizations which the department has authorized regulatory powers. Location of the project determines the appropriate district office/local pollution control organization to contact regarding a permit request.

The following application form, appropriate application fee and supporting documents must be submitted for both a general and individual permit prior to initiating construction:

Please contact your local DEP district office or local pollution control organization if you have questions.

When is a general or individual construction permit appropriate?

Collection/transmission systems can either be constructed under general permit or by individual permit.

Except for alternative collection/transmission systems, a general permit can be used provided:

  • The project has been designed in accordance with appropriate standards and criteria;
  • Notice has been given to the department at least 30 days prior to initiating construction; and
  • The wastewater facility to which the system will be connected has capacity to receive wastewater by the proposed system, is in compliance with capacity analysis requirements, is not under a department order associated with effluent violations or the ability to treat wastewater adequately, and will provide necessary treatment and disposal.

Collection/transmission systems not meeting the general permit criteria must submit an application for an individual permit.

What are requirements for placing a collection/transmission system into operation?

New or modified collection/transmission facilities are not to be placed into service until the project is cleared for use by the department. Upon completion of construction and before placing the collection/transmission facilities into operation for any purpose other than testing for leaks or testing equipment operation, the permittee must submit the following form to the DEP district office or local pollution control organization that issued the general or individual construction permit:

Please contact your local DEP District Office or local pollution control organization if you have questions. Local pollution control organizations may have additional provisions for placing a new or modified collection system into operation.

What is an alternative collection/transmission system?

Alternative collection/transmission systems are those systems not comprised of strictly conventional gravity sewers, pump stations and force mains. This includes pressure sewers using small diameter pipeline (grinder-pump or septic tank effluent pump (STEP)), vacuum sewers and small-diameter gravity sewers. The application form, Form 62-604.300(3)(a), F.A.C., Notification/Application For Constructing A Domestic Wastewater Collection/Transmission System, has separate checklists for low pressure sewer systems and vacuum sewer systems.

What is an individual service connection?

An individual service connection is the lateral pipe that connects the point at which wastewater leaves a building which is its source and the point at which it enters a collection system.

Collection/Transmission System Rule, Forms and Technical Guidance for Download: Rule:


Technical Guidance:

For Information:

For more information on domestic wastewater collection system permitting, contact the appropriate district office or delegated local program in your area. If you still have general questions about wastewater collection systems, contact the Wastewater Management Program at 850-245-8589.

Last Modified:
July 7, 2023 - 2:31pm

Some content on this site is saved in an alternative format. The following icons link to free Reader/Viewer software:
PDF: | Word: | Excel: